Friday, August 1, 2008

Review of Lalah Hathaway's cd "Self Portrait"

Usually when i go on a road trip i like to pick 1 or 2 cds that i haven't listened to and listen to the entire cd all the way through. One of the cds i picked this time was Lalah Hathaway's latest cd, "Self Portrait". I had already skimmed and listened to certain tracks on the cd, but since i lost my ipod (damn it!), I didn't have a chance to listen to the whole joint.

This cd is by far the best R&B cd that i've heard this year. By far!!!! And i listen to alot of music. If u like straight R&B with no gimmicks, this is that joint. I can't even say what my favorite joint on the cd is cause there are so many. Lalah's vocals on top of the smooth hypnotic tracks are a great mix. I haven't found a cd that I could play all the way through in a long time. I think i may have skipped one song. The vibe is straight (neo) soul music with a touch of jazz. She got the type of joints you'll hear in somebody's car and say "WHO IS THIS!?!?!" Think Jill Scott without the poetic undertones and format. Think Anita Baker 2008. Think female Luther Vandross before he went to the "pop" tart charts. Lalah should pick up alot of new fans with this cd.

Lalah Hathaway was already on my top 5 favorite female singers list. Her voice is flawless like her father Donny Hathaway's was. She moved up the list a couple notches after listening to this. So if your looking for some good music, check out Lalah Hathaway's "Self Portrait". U don't have to believe me.....check it out for yourself....

On the way back home i will be reviewing Erykah Badu's latest cd, "New Amerykah"


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Maurice said...

Good post Zeyl... I think I might have to pick that up... the last Lelah joint I picked up was a project she did with jazz pianist Joe Sample... that's really good too...

Good lookin' out...