Monday, August 4, 2008

Review Eykah Badu's "New Amerykah, Pt. 1: 4th World War"

On the way back from my road trip, i had a chance to listen to Erykah Badu's latest cd thoroughly. Hhhmmmm, where do i start with this one. First, don't expect anything close to her first 2-3 albums. Don't even expect anything close to the single "Honey" off this cd. She tricked me and everybody else who thought the cd would sound close to "Honey". There's a reason that this song is a hidden track.

Although I like when artists switch it up and grow, Erykah went straight left field on this one. The cd is very political and edgy. On my skim test I thought the cd was completely wack. After listening to it again.....it's almost completely wack. Except for the final 3 joints, i couldn't get into it. If it wasn't for some of the lyrics in the cd book, I would've been lost. The beats are pretty much straight underground hip-hop beats. To me her vocals aren't even up to par compared to her previous cds. There's a message in these songs, I just didn't take the time to figure out what it was. For me, the music has to grab me first. And it didn't grab me. Toward the end of the cd, the songs are more like the Erykah we are used to. By that time though, the cd is over.

Again, this is just my opinion. Some ppl may love the cd. I'll just have to sit this one out and wait for the next joint she puts out.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: